March 29, 2012

Clarence Carter - Slip Away (1968)

Born in Alabama in 1936, this soulful singer and songwriter was completely blind. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in music in 1960 and began releasing a string of (unsuccessful) singles over the next few years. Finally in 1967 he signed with Fame Records and began to release successful material. His first hit, heard below, was followed by several more successes, earning his place as a respected soul artist. After the popularity of disco passed in the ‘70s, he formed a comeback with his well-known 1985 hit, “Strokin’”.

This song was released as a single in 1968 and featured the B-side “Funky Fever”. It reached number six on the pop charts.

album art

Clarence Carter - Slip Away (1968)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

What would I give
For just a few moments?
What would I give
Just to have you near?

Tell me you would try
To slip away somehow
Oh I need you darling
I want to see you right now

Can you slip away?
Slip away
Slip away
Oh I need you so

Love, oh love
How sweet it is
When you steal it, darlin’
Let me tell you how sweet it is

Now I know it's wrong
The things I ask you to do
But please believe me, darling
I don't mean to hurt you

But just- can you slip away
Without him knowin’ you' gone?
Maybe we can meet somewhere
Somewhere where we both are not known

Can you slip away?
Slip away
Slip away
I need you so

Oh can you slip away, baby?
I'd like to see you right now, darling
Can you slip away, baby?
‘Cause I got to- got to see you
I feel a deep burning inside
Oh I wish you could slip away

Ooh, I wish you could slip away…

No comments:

Post a Comment