November 25, 2011

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Penthouse Pauper (1969)

Featuring brothers John and Tom Fogerty, this band was originally known as The Blue Velvets and later The Golliwogs before finally settling on their last, most well-known name (which is often shortened to CCR). Coming out of California at a time when San Francisco was the center of the psychedelic sound explosion, they decided to go in another musical direction and perform southern swamp rock. It paid off; they became one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

This song, a wonderful blend of blues, rock, and country, comes from the first of three albums released by the group in 1969, Bayou Country.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Penthouse Pauper

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Penthouse Pauper (1969)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

Now if I were a bricklayer
I wouldn't build just anything
And if I were a ballplayer
I wouldn't play no second string
And if I were some jewelry, baby
Lord, I'd have to be a diamond ring

And if I were a secret, Lord, I never would be told
And if I were a jug of wine, Lord, my flavor would be old
I could be most anything
But it got to be twenty-four karat solid gold, oh

If I were a gambler, you know I'd never lose
And if I were a guitar player
Lord, I'd have to play the blues

If I were a hacksaw, my blade be razor sharp
And if I were a politician, I could prove that monkey talk
You can find the tallest building
Lord, I'd have me the house on top

Oh, let's go

I'm the penthouse pauper
I got nothin’ to my name
I'm the penthouse pauper, baby
I got nothin’ to my name
I can be most anything
When you got nothin’, it's all the same

Oh
Lord, look at my penthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment