November 03, 2011

The Band - In A Station (1968)

Originally backing Ronnie Hawkins and going by the name of The Hawks, this group, member by member, eventually went on to back Bob Dylan during his 1965 and 1966 tours. Feeling that they were always “the band” to various frontmen, they adopted the title as their name and released two acclaimed albums: Music from Big Pink (1968) and The Band (1969).

This song comes from the album Music from Big Pink, which also featured their most popular song “The Weight”. George Harrison claimed to be impressed with the musicianship on the album, and, Eric Clapton claimed its style convinced him to leave the psychedelic Cream to pursue his passion for roots rock, which he found with Blind Faith, Delaney & Bonnie, Derek and the Dominoes, and his early solo work.

The Band - In A Station

The Band - In A Station (1968)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

Once, I walked through the halls of a station
Someone called your name
In the streets, I heard children laughing
They all sound the same

Wonder, “could you ever know me?”
Know the reason why I live?
Is there nothing you can show me?
‘Life’ seems so little to give

Once, I climbed up the face of a mountain
And ate the wild fruit there
Fell asleep until the moonlight woke me
And I could taste your hair

Isn't everybody dreaming?
Then the voice I hear is real
Out of all the idle scheming
Can't we have something to feel?

Once upon a time, they used me, indeed
Tomorrow never came
I could sing the sound of your laughter
Still, I don't know your name

Must be some way to repay you
Out of all the good you gave
If a rumor should delay you
‘Love’ seems so little to say

No comments:

Post a Comment