May 08, 2012

Sam the Sham & The Pharaohs - Li'l Red Riding Hood (1966)

Led by the Mexican-American Domingo “Sam” Zamudio, this group is primarily remembered for their hits “Wooly Bully,” the song heard below, and their pharaoh stage costumes. They were also known to drive to their concerts in a 1952 hearse with dark red velvet curtains, which held all of their gear. After the breakup of the group, Zamudio went on to a solo career and worked with Duane Allman.

This song comes from the 1966 album Li’l Red Riding Hood, which featured an almost entirely different lineup of members than the previous years’ “Wooly Bully”. Zamudio was the only remaining member after financial disputes split the band apart. The premise of the song combines the fairy tale written by Charles Perrault and the term “wolf” to describe a man with a hidden sexual agenda toward a woman. It reached number two on the charts.

album art

Sam the Sham & The Pharaohs - Li'l Red Riding Hood (1966)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

[wolf howl]

Who's that I see walkin' in these woods?
Why, it's Little Red Riding Hood

Hey there Little Red Riding Hood
You sure are lookin’ good
You're ev’rything a big bad wolf could want

Listen to me

Little Red Riding Hood
I don't think little big girls should
Go walkin’ in these spooky old woods alone

[wolf howl]

What big eyes you have
The kind of eyes that drive wolves mad
So just to see that you don't get chased
I think I ought to walk with you for a ways

What full lips you have
They're sure to lure someone bad
So until you get to grandma's place
I think you ought to walk with me and be safe

I'm gonna keep my sheep suit on
Until I'm sure that you've been shown
That I can be trusted walkin’ with you alone

[wolf howl]

Little Red Riding Hood
I'd like to hold you if I could
But you might think I'm a big bad wolf, so I won't

[wolf howl]

What a big heart I have
The better to love you with
Little Red Riding Hood
Even bad wolves can be good
I'll try to be satisfied
Just to walk close by your side
Maybe you'll see things my way
Before we get to grandma's place

Little Red Riding Hood
You sure are looking good
You're ev’rything that a big bad wolf could want

[wolf howl]
I mean baaaaa
Baaaaa?
Baaaaa

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was pretty tempted to put up "Wooly Bully," but I went against it at the last minute.

      Delete