May 15, 2012

The Brass Buttons – Hell Will Take Care of Her (1968)

Coming from Rochester, New York, this group was originally known as The Show Stoppers when they formed together in high school. Their lead singers were Jay Capozzi and Eric “ET” Thorngren. Other members in the band were drummer Bob Guglielmino, keyboardist Joe Graziano, saxophonist Danny Labatte, and bassist Mike Julian.

Written by Jay Capozzi, this song was the B-side on the single that featured the A-side “My Song”.

album art

The Brass Buttons – Hell Will Take Care of Her (1968)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

Don’t believe her when she says she’s sorry, boy
Don’t you listen to the things she says
She will hurt you any time she gets bored
Wind you up and treat you like a kid’s toy

Though her eyes are blue, her heart’s as black as night
Even if she’s wrong, she claims she’s always right
Don’t give in to any of her schemes
She always makes them brighter than they seem

Boys’ll think that she’s so fine
But her heart’s as cold as wine
As wine
As wine

When her tears are so impressive
She uses them to get the best
Of you
Of you

Curses things that other girls just wish they had
Praises all the things that are all so bad
Leave her now and hurt her with your exit plan
Hell will take care of this girl when it’s her time

Hell will take care of this girl when it’s her time
Hell will take care of this girl when it’s her time

10 comments:

  1. By 1968 the Brass buttons had no bass player. Bass was supplied by the organist. In addition the band had 2 sax players, a lead singer, a guitar player and a drummer. How do I know for sure? I have some photographs I took of the band in the Fall of 1968 at SUNY Oswego.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all of the information!

      Delete
    2. Ale galick was the lead singer

      Delete
    3. Al Gaellich was one of the lead singers in the Rustix, not Brass Buttons

      Delete
    4. I followed the Buttons 68-72. Graziano played bass with the B3 foot peddles. Never saw them with a bass player. They were wonderful. I want to ID the other horn player. He played trombone & sax. See Lisa minelli with them on a1969 ed sullivan show. Dan Lebate was lead sax guy. Who was the trombone guy??

      Delete
  2. The best song was the flip side called "My Song". I have looked all over but can't find it. I had the 45 as a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have looked everywhere for the flip side of "Hell will take care of her"... I am looking for "My Song" on an mp3 format... If any one knows where I can purchase, I would be very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I remember the 414 Club on Ridge Road West in Rochester, New York! We underage kids (sorry) would be allowed in because we knew the strong-arm security men at the door. Sloe-gin fizzes were popular because the aroma of alcohol was minimal so our parents wouldn't be all the wiser. The 414 Club was a neighborhood "hood" place (yes, with mobsters) where the music blared and kids went wild. I remember thinking how handsome Jay Capozzi was and how Beatle-like he seemed. I don't live too far from the old building that housed the 414 Club years ago and, as I drive by it today, I relive those fantastic memories of my youthful, carefree days listening to The Show Stoppers. I loved that band!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I TALK TO JAY CAPOZZI AT LEAST TWICE A WEEK LIVES IN AZ.NOW HE VISITS ROCHESTER ONCE A YEAR WILL SEE HIM THIS SUMMER 2021

      Delete
    2. We'd love to append this page with a story or few words from Jay if he'd be interested! Thank you for sharing.

      Delete