May 18, 2012

Deep Purple – Help (1968)

Originally known as Roundabout and almost known as Concrete God, this English group is considered a pioneer to the hard rock and heavy metal genres. Formed in 1968, they’ve featured numerous members over their lengthy history and have released such memorable tracks as “Hush,” “Smoke on the Water” and “Woman from Tokyo”.

Originally written by John Lennon and credited to Lennon/McCartney, this song first appeared on The BeatlesHelp! album, released in 1965. Considered by Lennon to be one of his most genuine songs, he claims he was “fat and depressed” and actually “was crying out for help." This particular version of the song was released on Deep Purple’s debut album, Shades of Deep Purple, and features a much, much slower tempo.

album art

Deep PurpleHelp (1968)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

When I was younger- so much younger than today
Never needed anybody's help in any way
But now, these days are gone- I'm not so self assured
Now I find I've changed my mind- opened up the door

Help me if you can I'm feelin’ down
But I do appreciate your being ‘round
Help me get my feet back on the ground
Won't you please help me?
Yeah

And now my life has changed in, oh, so many ways
My independence seems to vanish in the haze
But every now and then, I feel so insecure
Now I know I need you like I never done before

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down- down
But I do appreciate your being ‘round me
Help me get my feet back on the ground
Won't you please help me?
My love?

(Help)
I need somebody
(Help)
Not just anybody
(Help)
I need someone
Help

Won't you please help me?
My love?
Help me, baby
Help me

4 comments:

  1. Wow, a psychedelic version of "Help". I enjoyed it, but it made me feel slightly drugged. (Maybe that was the aim.)

    Yep, with their version Deep Purple certainly removed the exclamation mark on the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that. I wonder if they removed the exclamation point for that very reason...? It'd make sense!

      Delete