February 25, 2013

The Cryan' Shames - The Sailing Ship (1967)

This song comes from the group’s second album, A Scratch in the Sky, released in 1967. Although they abandoned the British Invasions sounds that had summarized them in their earlier years, the band couldn’t seem to figure out which style they wanted to move forward with on this album. The songs range from highly whimsical sunshine-pop to harmonic psychedelics featuring bagpipes. Although the album has its ups and downs both in mood and greatness, there are a few good tracks to be found.

This song in particular, written by band members Jim Fairs and Lenny Kerley, is probably my favorite track on the album. It appears as the second track on A Scratch in the Sky and is played here in its entirety (versus the single version which was forty-one seconds shorter). If you like it, be sure to check out the tracks “A Carol for Lorelei” and “Cobblestone Road (She’s Been Walkin’).”

After you've listened to the song below, check out all of the songs posted featuring The Cryan' Shames.

album art

The Cryan' Shames - The Sailing Ship (1967)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

I'm sailing my ship away to sea
The stars are guiding me

I'm going where no one else can be
Across the shining sea

I am, that is, I was or I will be
Upon confusing seas

I'm sailing my ship away to sea
And I'm so lonely
(And I'm so lonely)
(And I'm so lonely)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I just keep listening to this track over...and over...and over...again. I love it! Thanks for sharing. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy it - it's a great song! We have another posted from their earlier years when they sounded more like a British Invasion styled band. Have you heard it? http://abitlikeyouandme.blogspot.com/2011/11/cryan-shames-sugar-and-spice-1966.html It's very pop-sounding.

      Delete