June 18, 2012

The Safaris - Image of a Girl (1960)

Formed in 1959, this group was only a one-hit wonder. Coming out of Los Angeles, California, they released the song heard below in 1960 on Eldo Records and watched it cruise to number six on the Billboard Hot 100. With high hopes, the group put out another song, “Girl with the Story in Her Eyes,” the same year only to watch it flop. Two songs in 1961 had the same ill-fated demise. Disappointed with their lack of success, they changed their name to The Suddens and tried one last time to release a song in 1961. Unfortunately, it flopped as well and the group became nothing more than a fond memory.

It’s unfortunate that this song, written by members Richard Clasky and Marvin Rosenberg, was the first release to be put out by the group. If it had been one of their later releases, the group could have celebrated their success after having a few bumps in the road. But, as it is, the group started with success and unfortunately failed to ever reach it again.

[Update 01/09/2015: Alan Brackett of The Peanut Butter Conspiracy left some interesting anecdotes in the comments section below.]

album art

The Safaris - Image of a Girl (1960)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

As I lie awake resting from the day
I can hear the clock passing time away
Oh, I couldn't sleep, for on my mind
Was the image of the girl I hope to find
Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh

I look straight up at the ceiling above
Thinking of the girl whom I will love
Oh, would it be soon when she exists?
The image of the girl I've always wished
Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh

I twisted and I turned, ooh, trying to sleep
But all I could do was only to weep
For I haven't found that image yet
Of all the girls that I have met

And now the clock is still passing time
And I know someday that she will be mine
And I know she'll always bring me love
For she's the image of the girl I love
Whoa, (image of a girl) oh, oh, oh, oh

Whoa, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh (image of a girl) oh, oh, oh, oh
Whoa, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh (image of a girl)
Whoa, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh (image of a girl)…

2 comments:

  1. Don Galese (sp?) was the engineer on this record at Eldo, which was a label in Hollywood that I recorded a single with the Hillside Singers, played bass on an lp by Phoenix, a group Tyran Porter was bass player in but didn't yet have enough experience - next thing I knew Tyran was in the Doobie Brothers as - yes, their new bass player! I also did a session of songs I wrote with Peanut Butter Conspiracy in 1966 which are now out on cd called SPREADING FROM THE ASHES on ACE RECORDS.

    ReplyDelete