June 11, 2012

The Aerovons - World of You (1969)

In 1966, five high-school students from St. Louis, Missouri formed a band. In 1967, after releasing a demo, they rejected an offer from Capitol Records to record an album in Los Angeles. They were hoping to record at Abbey Road Studios, where their idols The Beatles worked. In 1968, the group flew to London and got their wish, receiving offers from both EMI (who they signed with) and Decca. By 1969, the group had lost two members, but began recording the album as a three-piece act. EMI, concerned about the group’s stability, canceled the release of the album indefinitely. Parlophone released two of their singles, but more fortunately for us, the album was released in its entirety by RPM in 2003.

Their long unreleased album, titled Resurrection, was shelved for nearly forty years before finally being released on CD by RPM. Due to the group’s infatuation with The Beatles, it comes as no surprise that their music sounded a lot like The Beatles’ late ‘60s work. This song, probably the best by the group, was the first track on Resurrection.

[Update: Tom Hartman of The Aerovons gave A Bit Like You And Me five exclusive stories! To read them, you can visit our Exclusive Stories page or start with the first story. Enjoy!]

album art

The Aerovons - World of You (1969)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

It’s a new world of you
And I’m just a stranger here
It’s a new thing to do
And I’m being quite sincere

Though I know I’m far from home
I’m going to say
“til tomorrow
Tomorrow”

Without cost or obligation
I will turn my resignation
In to you
Without sorrow

No reason to be blue

It’s a new world of you
And I’m just a stranger here
It’s a new thing to do
And I’m being quite sincere

There were no maps
Or drawn directions
And your potions for protection
Leading my path

There’ll be no easy road returning
To that world of rapid yearning
That I’ve known
Never learning

And you can stay, too

It’s a new world of you
And I’m just a stranger here
It’s a new thing to do
And I’m being quite sincere

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Zolland, for posting a song by a band I'd never heard of before. I am now very interested in hearing more of The Aerovons.

    (Incidentally, that song reminds me of The Zombies.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've now heard the album and I think it's more than a Beatles influence / homage / tribute – I'd call it a Beatles rip-off.

      I'll soon* be posting a special Musical coincidence on my blog featuring The Aerovons' most blatant references.

      (*Exactly how soon is "soon" remains to be seen, because there are so many Beatles references on the album that it's probably going to take longer than I imagine.)

      Delete