December 29, 2011

Mouse - A Public Execution (1966)

Formed in Tyler, Texas in 1965 by Ronnie “Mouse” Weiss, the group altered their name after the release of their first single, heard below, to their more widely-remembered name, Mouse & The Traps. Although they never released a full-length album, they had moderate success in the southern US with a handful of singles.

Having enormous respect for Bob Dylan, the group’s first released single was molded after Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone”. The melody and singing style was so close to Dylan’s hit, listeners couldn’t figure out if it was a parody of or homage to him. What is sure is that the song was their largest hit, reaching #121 on the Billboard charts.

album cover

Mouse - A Public Execution (1966)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

Some words are best not spoken
Some things are best not said
But since this is your public execution
I think I'm gonna go right on ahead

The mailman brought your letter, babe
Where you told me how you feel
And about the things he said and told you
That is, I'm such a heel
But I could never be honest; that to you I'd always lied
When he saw me take some other hide for a two-wheel pony ride

You at least might have asked me
If the scene was really what it seemed
But like a queen ruled by her jester
Your conclusions was “a scheme”

You said I disappointed you wherever all the things I've done
And that you had convinced yourself I was the only one
To really make you happy- satisfy your soul
Now you say I've failed you since we've spent up all my gold

Have you ever seen the truth, therefore
Have you ever made a try
Such a thing for you, so impossible
With them beams all in your eyes

Whoa, I read where you said you want one good chance to really put me down
And how you'd love to smear my name all over my home town
Said some Mouse made a fool of you and said, “Don't waste a dime”
Your phone is out of order now, babe, for me you've got no time

If this is really what you're thinkin'
That it's really, really all my fault
You’d better find yourself a welder, baby
'Cause you got locked up in your vault

Yeah, you got your point put over now
It seems you’ve found a match
Burn the bridge behind you, babe
Slam your door; throw the latch
I know just how you're hurtin'
From your feelings as they burn
I'd like to say I'm sorry
But it's no longer my concern

So goodbye
Go on and have a real good cry
I've found me a brand-new high
She just loves a two-wheel pony ride
You better get yourself a welder, babe
Go on, get on out of here

No comments:

Post a Comment