December 31, 2011

The G-Clefs - I Understand (Just How You Feel) (1961)

This group, formed in Massachusetts in 1952, consisted of four brothers and one childhood friend. Growing up, the Scott brothers created their own gang, “The Band of Angels,” to guard what police referred to as “Scotty’s Alley”. The group had two moderate successes in the charts: 1956’s “Ka-Ding-Dong” and the song heard below.

This song is an amalgam of the group’s lyrics with the tune of the New Year’s traditional song, “Auld Lang Syne,” which is also sung in the background. “Auld Lang Syne” itself is the combination of a Scottish poem written in 1788 by Robert Burns and a traditional folk song. The phrase “auld lang syne” translates to “long long ago” and “for auld lang syne” therefore indicates “for old time’s sake”.

album cover

The G-Clefs - I Understand (Just How You Feel) (1961)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

I understand just how you feel
(Should old acquaintance be forgot)
Your love for me; why not be mine?
(And never brought to mind?)
It's over now but it was grand
(Should old acquaintance be forgot)
I understand; I understand
(And days of auld lang syne?)

If you ever change your mind
(For auld lang syne, my dear)
Come back to me and you will find
(For auld lang syne)
Me waiting there at your command
(We’ll spill a cup of wine, my dear)
I understand; I understand
(For auld lang syne)

I miss you so
Please believe me when I tell you
I just can't stand to see you go
You know

If you ever change your mind
(Should old acquaintance be forgot)
Come back to me and you will find
(And never brought to mind?)
Me waiting there at your command
(Should old acquaintance be forgot)
I understand; I understand
(And days of auld lang syne)

I understand just how you feel. Let bygones be bygones. But always remember: I love you, I love you, I love you.

(We'll sip a cup of wine, my dear, for Auld Lang Syne)
I understand

2 comments:

  1. Freddie and the Dreamers covered this in 1964, it made the top ten in the UK. When singing this to myself and I get to the line 'If you ever change your mind' I always end up continuing with 'about leaving, leaving me behind...' (Bring it on home to me - The Animals' cover version).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe I've ever heard the Freddie and the Dreamers version. I'm going to have to look for it on YouTube. If I had known it existed, I probably wouldn't have put up this version. This version is actually my least favorite song on the entire site! And I definitely can hear the lead in to The Animals, haha! That's a much better song than this one! I wish he DID break into The Animals' "Bring It On Home To Me"!

      Delete