April 25, 2012

Raspberries - Go All the Way (1972)

Do you remember our post about a group called The Choir? If not, you can see it here. When The Choir broke up around 1970, three out of four of the members went on to form this group, a popular “power pop” group in the early ‘70s. They were labeled a teenybopper group for their clean-cut image and British Invasion influences (at that point, a thing of the past). Notable fans of the group include Jack Bruce (of Cream) and Ringo Starr.

This song was written by the group’s frontman and lead singer, Eric Carmen, who was the only member of the group not to formerly be in The Choir. The song reached the top five of numerous charts and sold over one million copies. The repeat of the phrase “come on” during the middle of the song is based on The Beatles’ use of the same phrase in their song “Please Please Me”. Taken as being sexually suggestive, it was banned on the BBC.

album art

Raspberries - Go All the Way (1972)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

Alright!

I never knew how complete love could be
'til she kissed me and said, “Baby…

Please, go all the way
It feels so right (feels so right)
Being with you here tonight
Please, go all the way
Just hold me close (hold me close)
Don't ever let me go”

I couldn't say what I wanted to say
'til she whispered, “I love you, so…

Please, go all the way
It feels so right (feels so right)
Being with you here tonight
Please, go all the way
Just hold me close (hold me close)
Don't ever let me go”

Before her, alone, I was cruel and mean
There ‘a hole in the place where my heart should have been
But now I'm changed and feel so strange
I come alive when she does those things to me

And she says, (“Come on)
Come on (come on)
(Come on)
Come on (come on)
I need you (come on)
I love you (come on)
I need you (come on)
(Come on)”

Please, go all the way
It feels so right (feels so right)
Being with you here tonight
Please, go all the way
Just hold me close (hold me close)
Don't ever let me go
Oh no!

Go all the way, yeah!

5 comments:

  1. Great song! I love hearing music from this time period that I never heard before. I'd like going back in time and experiencing music in a new light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your post! Sorry I didn't notice it sooner. This is a great song, isn't it? I think we'd all love to have a time machine!

      Delete
  2. Eric Carmen, who did "Hungry Eyes" in the Eighties? Wow, never put it together. This song really does sound ahead of its time, or perhaps out of its time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's him alright. He was also in the group called Cyrus Erie, which is also featured on ABLYAM.

      Delete