February 17, 2012

Yes - Every Little Thing (1969)

Primarily remembered for their progressive rock hits such as “I’ve Seen All Good People” throughout the ‘70s, this band was formed in 1968. They briefly brought in the Koobas’ drummer, Tony O’Riley, in late ’68, before begging Bill Bruford to return after having left to go to college. By 1972, Bruford had left the band again, this time to join King Crimson, and was replaced by the former Plastic Ono Band drummer Alan White. The group had featured numerous members, briefly disbanded in 1981, and has since reunited with various members swapping in and out.

This song, written by Paul McCartney in the home of Jane Asher (and credited to Lennon/McCartney), was originally recorded by The Beatles for their 1964 album, Beatles for Sale. This version of the song is a unique cover featuring a long opening instrumental, a quick “Day Tripper” reference at the two minute mark, and an overall more “rock ballad” approach.

album art

Yes - Every Little Thing (1969)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

When I’m walking beside her
People tell me I'm lucky
Yes, I know I'm a lucky guy
I remember the first time
I was lonely without her
Can't stop thinking about her now

Every little thing she does
She does for me, yeah
And you know the things she does
She does for me

When I'm with her I'm happy
Just to know that she loves me
Yes, I know that she loves me now
There is one thing I'm sure of
I will love her forever
'cause I know love will never die

Every little thing she does
She does for me, yeah
And you know the things she does
She does for me

Every little thing she does
She does for me, yeah
And you know the things she does
She does for me

When I'm with her I'm happy
Just to know that she loves me
Yes, I know that she loves me now
There is one thing I'm sure of
I will love her forever
'cause I know love will never die

Every little thing she does
She does for me
And you know the things she does
She does for me

Every little thing
Every little thing
Every little thing
Every little thing

4 comments:

  1. I wonder how many bands exist today that can ROCK out like that! Those vocal harmonies and the intricate timing of the song executed with a raw precision that you just cannot get from technology. It's called TALENT! Thanks for the awesome post ABLYAM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely no auto-tuning in his voice. Can you imagine what amazing music we could hear today if the recording industry searched for talent rather than exploited people for 15 minutes of fame? There's so much potential!

      Delete
  2. Surprised how different this song can be when rocked! Did I hear Animal on the drums in the middle there? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...you may have, but thank goodness Kermit wasn't singing. This is one of my favorite Beatles covers. I just posted one by The Beach Boys a few days ago, too. "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away." Hear it?

      Delete